An anniversary commemorates an event that took place on that day in a previous year. Anniversaries are often celebrated as a joyous occasion such as a birthday or a wedding anniversary, but they can also commemorate a tragedy such as the death of a loved one.
March is an up and down month for me it marks the anniversary of this entire journey and a month that 2 years ago changed my life forever and changed a vast number of peoples around me. Yes not all that change has been negative, however at times is very difficult to comprehend a battle between time moving forward and the want for time just to freeze.
For anyone who is not aware two years ago i received my diagnosis (clink link to hear my story) so March marks my cancerversary, yes its not the anniversary i planned when i was a child to celebrate and not one i particularly want to be experiencing now but it is what it is. So yes believe it or not its been TWO years, wow that long you might say, or some may feel thats been a few tough years.
Now, i don’t particularly want to be celebrating it however i think its worth remembering i am here to celebrate it. This two years has been full of ups and downs, adventure, experience and different emotions, but it has also taught me a lot. Not necessarily new things that i wasn’t aware of prior, but instead concreting things i knew. Life is a constant learning curve, for people it may not be illness but we all experience situations that change or teaches us new things about our life.
So with that i thought about the 5 things this journey has taught me. Below is my current learning points not necessarily my top ones, but ones that at the moment are more prominent within my brain.
- Positivity wont cure anything but it certainly makes the present more fun and bearable
- Fill your life with amazing friends and family – when life gets tough they are what you have and what will get you through the tough times.
- Do a job/career that gives you a reason to get out of bed – that might not necessarily be the job itself, it may be the people/career progression/company/cause.
- Never take what you love for granted – No matter how small, playing football, watching Cambridge United, cold drinks, having hair, going to work.
- Find someone you can tell anything and everything to and make sure you discuss it but also, at times, ignore it, have a giggle a chat, knowing you can return to it whenever you need. Find your ROCK!!!
Feel free to comment below 5 things you may have learnt or important life lessons you have learnt, you never know who is reading….